Friday, November 26, 2021

Isekai World Tour: In Another World With My Smartphone

You know, there are so many other light novel adaptations I should cover in this series but for some reason I really just have the urge to vent about this one. Its not something I'd consider bad, its just really meh. Also, this is specifically just going to be about the anime, not the novels as I haven't read them so if any of my complaints are rectified there, I won't know. Now, join me on the next stop on the Isekai World Tour!
Premise: God screws up and accidentally drops a lightning bolt on 15 year old Touya Mochizuka. He is surprisingly chill about being dead all things considered. As an apology God brings him back to life in another world and grants Touya's one request...to bring his smartphone with him.

First off, I really don't like the title. It sounds like the setup to a joke that never comes, which honestly sums up the show itself imo. The show's whole setup makes it sound like it should be a parody but its not. Furthermore, God also grants Touya a few other gifts he didn't ask for. He enhances Touya's physical abilities and (this part is a sticking point I have with it), he grants him complete magical affinity with all the elements. Due to this, Touya can learn every spell in that world, including custom abilities that are effectively rng-ed into people at birth.

All of that wouldn't be much of a problem if anything in the world could touch him. Between him being so broken and his chill nature, there is absolutely no tension in the show whatsoever. So the show just feels like a sequence of things that happen. I can't even call it a power fantasy (ugh...I hate using that term due to it being a tad too broad imo) because of all that. Its an odd case where the story is too chill for its own good. Maybe that changes as the novels go on but the anime doesn't have any really draw to it imo. Even the characters didn't manage to grab me. I know I keep complaining about this but Touya is way too chill to be interesting. The show doesn't go much into the female cast either so...yeah, there is virtually nothing to this cast at all.

Final Thoughts: Yeah, this post is kinda short given my usual lengths.This show just strikes me as a way to kill time and thats about all there is to it overall. Its way too chill for its own good. It doesn't go beyond what you'd think it would and doesn't really do anything interesting with the semi-comedic premise. Its not bad but there really isn't a big draw to it. It kinda feels like the only reason this was adapted was because of the Isekai boom. I can't even recall anything about the world he was dumped into. I dunno, maybe the novels fix my problems with it as they go on but I can't really say this made me even want to check out the novels after seeing the show. Thats really all I have to say about the show since it basically gave me nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment